The purpose of this award is to equip the learner with the knowledge, skill and competence to work efficiently and effectively, under direction with young children with additional needs. It aims to provide the learner with the knowledge and understanding of the context of special needs, associated issues and approaches used.
- Explore the history of special needs in Ireland
- Examine the Legislation and Policy development relating to children with additional needs
- Outline a range of special needs conditions and impairments relating to children
- Discuss a range of roles, responsibilities and support services available to children with additional needs
- Use a range of approaches in interactions with children with special needs
- Apply good practice with children with additional needs
- Plan developmentally appropriate activities mindful of the safety, welfare and well-being of all children
- Learn to take responsibility for own learning within a multidisciplinary team evaluating processes which lead to co-operation and effective communication within the team
- Evaluate own practice to inform understanding relating to children with special needs, leading to an awareness of social, ethical and legal issues in relation to the education and care.
Preferred Entry Level: Relevant work/life experiences, QQI level 4 equivalent or Leaving Certificate.