The purpose of this award is to equip the learner with the knowledge, skill and competence to support early childhood literacy and numeracy in a specific Early Childhood Care and Education (ECCE) learning environment. This modules is taught using the Montessori Approach.
- Examine the concepts, theories and principles underpinning the teaching and learning of literacy and numeracy in a specific ECCE setting
- Evaluate the main theoretical approaches and models that explain language and number acquisition in a specific ECCE learning context
- Devise lesson plans to enrich literacy and numeracy
- Guide children to practice their skills in a range of situations and for a range of purposes
- Assess a range of resources to support children’s language and number acquisition
- Assess how the environment promotes development of concept formation and abstract logical reasoning
- Organise a variety of observations to evaluate the learning of language and number in an ECCE setting
- Appraise own range of specialised skills and those of colleagues in meeting the literacy and numeracy needs of the child in an ECCE setting
- Evaluate own learning needs at a personal and professional level and assist others in identifying learning needs
- Manage tasks within the parameters of professional conduct including relations with parents, guardians, children and colleagues.
Preferred Entry Level: Relevant work/life experiences, QQI level 5 equivalent or Leaving Certificate.