The purpose of this award is to equip the learner with the knowledge, skill and competence required to develop, implement and evaluate an equality and diversity approach in the management of an Early Childhood Care and Education (ECCE) setting.
- Critically reflect on equality and diversity concepts as relevant to National and International contexts
- Evaluate the approaches to diversity education in relation to meeting standards and best practice guidelines
- Explain in detail equality and diversity terminology and associated concepts to include stereotypes, asylum seekers, refugees etc
- Critically evaluate current equality legislation
- Evaluate research pertaining to children’s and practitioners’ awareness, thinking and behaviour in relation to equality and diversity
- Proof an ECCE curriculum which supports the children’s goals of the anti-bias approach in line with best practice guidelines
- Identify barriers to play, learning and participation from an equality and diversity perspective
- Devise mechanisms for reducing discriminatory attitudes and practices and institutional barriers
- Lead an audit of the ECCE setting, the environment, its policies and procedures and materials pertaining to equality and diversity
- Critically evaluate the importance of having an equality approach in an ECCE setting
- Reflect on own attitudes, values, beliefs and assumptions and their impact in relation to equality and diversity issues when working with children, families and team members.
Preferred Entry Level: Relevant work/life experiences, QQI level 5 equivalent or Leaving Certificate.