The purpose of this award is to equip the learner with the knowledge, skill and competence in the theory and practice underpinning the education and care of those who present with special educational needs to enable the learner to assist in the provision of this education and care.
- Evaluate the provision of education for people with special educational needs with reference to current legislation
- Assess the various educational options available in Ireland for people with special educational needs
- Examine relevant theories, skills and processes relevant to curriculum implementation
- Explore the differences between integration and inclusion
- Organise learning opportunities in order to promote independence and responsibility
- Evaluate the importance of the multidisciplinary team in devising Individual Education Plans
- Analyse skills that can be used to aid the teacher in the administration of the national curriculum
- Assess interventions and behaviour management techniques that may be used in the learning environment
- Manage meaningful activities that are suited to peoples’ needs and connect with their experiences and interests in the learning environment
- Identify strategies for dealing with stressors within the work place
- Provide assistance in the provision of education and care for individuals that present with special educational needs
- Reflect on own attitudes, values , beliefs and assumptions in relation to working with and on behalf of people who present with disabilities.
Preferred Entry Level: Relevant work/life experiences, QQI level 5 equivalent or Leaving Certificate.