The purpose of this award is to equip the learner with the knowledge, skill and competence to use a word processing application to produce documents in a variety of contexts to a mailable or publishable standard whilst working autonomously and under general direction.
- Describe a typical word processing application in terms of common uses and features including – text manipulation, document formatting, graphics, tabs, tables, mail merge and label printing
- Identify frequently-used toolbar icons and related functions associated with file handling and text formatting
- Create documents applying a range of text processing features including – margins and line spacing, indenting text and paragraphs, borders and shading, numbering and bullets, copying and pasting text, enhancing text
- Perform initial document configuration using page setup features to include – headers and footers, page numbering, paper size and orientation
- Use a range of proofing tools including – spell check, thesaurus, search and replace
- Apply file management facilities, including – creating files and folders, saving files in different formats, copying files an folders, renaming files, accessing file details, finding files using search facility
- Apply a range of table features including – creating tables, resizing, merging cells, inserting or deleting columns and rows, aligning text, applying borders and shading to tables and sorting table content
- Create mailmerge and labels
- Use markup capabilities to make track changes to documents
- Produce a range of different types of documents using common word processing features including – manual text formatting, applying styles, creating tables, inserting and manipulating graphics
- Print mailable documents and labels using a range of print features, to include – print preview, single and multiple copies, printing specific pages, selecting parameters and adjusting the appearance and positioning of text and graphics
- Use a word processing application to create a file from a document template by performing all required steps including creating and storing the template, entering data, and printing and storing the file appropriately for subsequent retrieval
- Improve personal performance by using additional resources such as the help facility to solve familiar and unfamiliar word processing problems.
Preferred Entry Level: Relevant work/life experiences, QQI level 4 equivalent or Leaving Certificate.